Saturday, November 15, 2008

Homemade Dog Biscuits




With the economy getting extra tight, I decided to try making dog biscuits. Yes, I'm really that cheap. DD6 mixed them up, I rolled them out, and we all used cookie cutters to cut out the dough. It was a good lesson in rolling out dough, as I made a pretty stiff dough that didn't stick to anything, and it didn't matter how much we played with it, because the dogs won't care if the biscuits are tough. lol In fact, my dogs are BIG, so the tougher the better!


Pumpkin Dog Biscuits
1 cup pumpkin (I used leftover yams)
4 eggs
1 tsp salt
2 Tbs dry milk
5 cups whole wheat flour
water

Mash the pumpking and stir in the eggs. Add the dry ingredients and as much water as you need to form a workable dough. Roll out to 1/2" thick & cut. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes.

The recipe made about 55 medium sized biscuits. Now I need to do some price checking to see if I'm actually saving anything by making my own. At any rate, it was a fun project to do with the girls, and it's nice to know what goes into your pet's food. These would make great Christmas gifts for the dog-lover on your Christmas list!




No comments: